Sunday 27 April 2014

‘I coughed up a tumour’: #StephensStory takes another incredible twist… and he’s feeling ‘fantastic’

'I coughed up a tumour': Stephen's Story takes an incredible twist

Well, this is quite a turnaround – and we could not be more delighted.
Last week, it seemed terminally-ill cancer teen Stephen Sutton was just hours away from death when he posted a heartbreaking final farewell on Facebook.
However, he today revealed his health has taken a turn for the better after he ‘coughed up a tumour’ – and he says he’s feeling ‘fantastic’.
Describing the last week as ‘pretty unbelievable’, Stephen told his followers the latest turn in his tale had been the ‘most bizarre and fortunate twist yet’.

In a post on his Facebook page Stephen’s Story, he revealed breathing had become very difficult due to the collapse of his right lung – until he suffered a coughing fit.
He added: ‘After a lying there for a bit longer the coughing increased and then suddenly the shortness of breath became incredibly severe. Amongst frantic hand pointing and panicking I felt like I was suffocating. Then I forced out an oval red stained solid object through my mouth. My breathing and airway straight away felt clearer, but I spent the next hour violently coughing and choking, but then eventually my breathing once again stabilised.



‘Since then, my breathing has dramatically improved. I’m really stuck for the words of how to describe it. Throughout the night my throat was pretty sore but my O2 and other saturation levels are great. This morning I am relying on NO external oxygen to breath at all and I’m feeling bloody fantastic!
‘The doctors have discussed what’s happened and the only plausible conclusion is that I’ve literally coughed up a tumour (probably along with bits of infection etc) that was blocking my airway.
‘I have had an X-ray this morning which seems to show my right lung has inflated slightly, suggesting the substance I coughed up was also a significant pressure that was causing a restriction on the collapsed lung. Physiologically a tumour breaking away like this is possible, but it all just seems incredibly surreal – mind, I’m not complaining!
‘My lungs are still pretty messy with other tumours, clots and potential infections/inflammations/etc affecting my overall condition but, for now at least, I am in a good stable state. I have no immediate problems and in fact feel better than I did when I first came into hospital last Sunday!’
As Stephen’s progress was revealed via his Facebook page, the response has been phenomenal.
Bolstered by online support from celebrities such as Piers Morgan and comedian Jimmy Carr, donations flooded in to the 19-year-old’s JustGiving page, who is raising money for the Teenage Cancer Trust.
In less than 24 hours he smashed his target of raising £1 million, and yesterday that total climbed to £2.5 million. Source

1 comment:

  1. Aww,heart touchıng ındeed.I wısh hım a perfect n permanent recovery. Hope Emeghara

    ReplyDelete