Thursday 30 May 2013

Lol so there is a fake Hermes : Blogger's Diary-In my quest to be a Lagos Big babe..........


A friend of mine visited my house today. I hadn't seen her in 2 years.And while she applauded my stacked up closet, she frowned at the sparse number of handbags I owned. She went on and on about how a lady needs a few designer handbags in her closet to qualify as a big chic. She said bags define a woman, not clothes. “Emeh, you mean you don’t have a Gucci,LV, orHermes bag? Then how do you want people to classify you as a Lagos big babe?

20 minutes later, feeling down , I bought into her orientation and felt I was less of a lady since I couldn't boast of one well known designer Handbag.



“Do you know how much a real designer bag cost? I’d rather buy a nameless good handbag than a fake known name”I told her..
She dismissed my concerns with a shrug while intimating me of a new shop where I could get authentic  designer bags at reasonable prices.
So, we proceeded to the market on the island and I was a little skeptical because the area wasn't befitting of a shop where designer bags would be sold. However, I was reassured by her excited demeanor and gentle tug
So we arrived at the said store and my oh my! I haven’t seen so many designer handbags in one store at a time…the lighting was dim(green bulb) so I couldn’t see clearly and at that moment, I wanted every bag in that store..”This store must be worth millions, I thought to myself..

We were well received by the vendor who happened to be Igbo and he seemed excited she brought a new customer.”Welcome fine girl..na this kin faces I dey like see””. I smiled coyly..”Which one you want? Hermes, LV,Gucci, Prada, Chloe”? Knowing how expensive these  items cost, I asked “Do you have Zara”? Not too bad for a start ..lol…”Yes I get Zara” he said excitedly..

He was just about to get the bag when a young lady of about 20 walked in…she was carrying aHermes Bag and wearing an LV belt”Big girl” I thought to myself. The vendor switched his attention to her” Customer customer,how you dey?Long time no see”””  I travel go Benin “she replied .

She went on further “E get this Chanel handbag wey I see yesterday,e get white logo..you get am”?
Haaaa I get am now, but as per customer. You want the real one or fake one? Ahaha which kindquestion be that? You don see me dey buy fake before? Abeg real one jare”” she said slightly frowning…Mehn I had an unwavering self-confidence but had to admit, I was intimidated.

He rushed to his shelf and brought the Chanel bag.This was just the one I saw Victoria Beckham carry in a recent picture. Handing it to her, he said This one na 3,500 last.Na the original Chanel”. I froze……No I didn't hear him say a bag which costs over 3,000 dollars was 3,500 naira..

Maybe I didn't hear him well, I consoled myself…I was just about to find comfort in that thought when she yelled” How you go tell me say original Chanel be 3,500naira? How much I buy this Hermes wey I carry””(she said dangling the bag before his eyes) .” You say make I tell you last price, I don tell you as per customer,you dey complain. Fake Chanel na 2,500,you want that one”?

“I say na original I want and na 2,500 I go buy am. I buy Hermes(hermez) 3,000,that my gold Gucci(gussi) na 2,500,why I go come buy Chanel (sanel)3,500.Talk better jor”. She said …This infuriated him as he made to return the bag back to its place.

At this point in-time, he turned his attention to me “Which color of Zara you want”?  I was lost for words?Did this guy know the gravity of what he just did? Chanel, Hermes, Gucci, all under 5,000naira? I stared at my friend and she smiled excitedly and said “I told you,this is where all Lagos big girls buy their designer handbags”
I wanted to laugh when the girl interrupted” Oya take your money abeg”…he smiled and replied while collecting the money” Now you dey talk like better person”..She told him to wrap the bag , and I was flabbergasted.
I thought of the time wasted, instead of doing better things like blogging when she crowned it all up with “Ehehn you get Christain louboutin(kistain lobotinz)? Original one oh””Yes I get the one wey just comot last month,he went to his shelves and pulled out what he called louboutins,this time, it had yellow bottoms…

I couldn't hold back and asked “I thought louboutins had red bottoms, not yellow””? “No oh, dem get green,blue silver,all na louboutin” I smiled as he handed it to her..and told her the last price was 4,500 since it was original..promising to come for it later, she exited the shop ,leaving me dumbfounded with my mouth wide agape..
“ Make I bring the the Zara fine girl”? I looked at my friend who brought me there and said “Am I being punked? “Punked? I just sell the last one yesterday, na better designer be that,e dey move market..

I just nodded ,picked up my Atmosphere clutch and exited the shop leaving my friend trailing behind me..Getting outside, I inhaled a deep sigh of relief and thanked God I never had to carry one of those fake bags..I was just about to cross the road when I spotted the girl who just bought the Chanel bag, for the first time, I noticed her Hermes was spelt “HERMMES”’..so much for being a big girl..lol

No comments:

Post a Comment